Saturday, May 26, 2007

Night on the town

I went to the U of Washington MFA grad exhibition reception tonight. Saw some art, saw some old friends, saw some new friends, and basically went out on the town. There were some great pieces there - all i can say is magnets...and paper snowflakes.

Anyways, I met up with Amy Johnson, an old friend from the Archie Bray, and also happened upon Karen Swyler, who was in town for for Amy's show. Karen was about the third person I've run into in past two days who I know from somewhere else completely. Weird!! I got this awesome photo of Karen demonstrating something really dramatically:



Went to a party at one of Amy's classmates and had a really great time. People seem to be very friendly and welcoming here.

Again, however, I want to stress the convolutedness of this city: whenever you tell someone where you're going they immediately break into an explanation of how to get there, whether you need it or not. Such a description cannot happen through words alone, rather it is accomplished through a sort of interpretive dance involving all sorts of strange and sometimes painful limb movements. I can't really do it justice here, but ask me in person sometime, and I will act it out for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear it's all going seu-pur-blee. Have fun wayfinding in Seattle, but look at it this way, at least there's no fortress perpetually between you and your destination, a la Halifax.

-mark